mother and two daughters dancing together in the woods

Florida Alimony Reform 2023

As of July 1, 2023, the Florida Alimony Reform bill for 2023, which has been signed by the Governor, is now in effect and applies to all pending or initiated cases.


How Grandparents Can Get Custody of Grandchild in Florida

How Grandparents Can Get Custody of Grandchild in Florida

Everything You Need to Know about Grandparent Rights in Tampa

The legal rights of grandparents can be confusing, and getting custody or visitation rights with your grandchildren requires extensive knowledge of Florida family law. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know about navigating grandparent guardianship in Florida.

How to Get Temporary Custody of a Grandchild in Florida

Florida awards grandparents custodial rights in the form of temporary custody when it has been determined that the parents are unable to adequately provide for their children. This is a short-term solution until the parents are able to resume their role as the primary caretaker. Grandparents will be provided legal documents to prove they are able to make decisions regarding the child’s health and wellness during this time.

Read More

10 Factors That May Determine Your Child Custody Rights

10 Factors That May Determine Your Child Custody Rights

How to get Child Custody in Florida

The state of Florida no longer assigns primary or secondary custody; instead, time is usually split 50/50. If the parents cannot agree or the courts find that equal time sharing is not in the child’s best interest, one parent may be granted custody for the majority of the time.

How is Custody Determined?

During a divorce, parents will need to come to an agreement regarding time-sharing and decision-making. This is called a parenting plan and must still be submitted in writing for official approval from the court.


6 Most Common Questions About Child Custody

Six Common Questions about Child Custody

Everything You Need to Know about Custody Negotiation

One of the most stressful aspects of a separation or divorce is how it affects children. The state of Florida always encourages parents to put aside any differences and do what is best for the child. As parents, there can be a lot of questions and concerns that arise regarding your children.

At LaFrance Law, we have been helping families develop and execute effective child custody agreements for over 20 years. To help you navigate the regulations set by the state of Florida here are some of the most common questions we hear.


Modifying Alimony

Modifying Alimony

What You Need To Know About Modifying Alimony in Florida

You’ve made it to the right place! LaFrance Family Law has experienced attorneys that are ready to help make modifying alimony possible in the state of Florida. Making changes on your own is never easy. With our approach, family doesn’t let other families go through difficult times alone. 

Let’s start with the basics.

Back view of a woman with her shoulders hunched

Warning Signs of Domestic Violence

How to Know if You’re in an Abusive Relationship

Domestic abuse is a pattern of controlling behaviors, violence, or threats of violence, that one person uses to establish power over an intimate partner or family member in order to control that person’s actions and activities.

Abusive relationships usually don’t start out that way, often violent and abusive behavior develops over time. Knowing the warning signs of an abusive relationship can help you identify and protect yourself from a potentially dangerous relationship.

Read More
Little girl on sled with caption "Time Sharing & Children During Holidays"

Time Sharing & Children: Creating Happy Holidays

Holidays with Children After Divorce

Family dynamics can make the holidays stressful, but divorce adds a whole other layer to the drama. One of the best ways to keep the peace is to prioritize how your children will enjoy the holiday. Not only will that keep things as normal as possible for them, but it might even help you keep that childlike wonder that might be lost in the stressors of a separation.

Read More
man and child walking hand-in-hand

What Happens After the Loss of a Parent?

How to Help your Children Cope with the Death of a Parent

No matter the circumstances, having a parent pass away is an emotionally challenging time for the whole family. Even if a couple is separated or divorced, the challenges after a family member passes can be extremely painful. Children of divorced parents can have a particularly difficult time coping when one of them passes away.

Regardless of what your feelings toward your ex were, it’s important to be supportive of children who are experiencing extreme emotions after the death of their parent. In order to offer the best emotional support for your family, it’s important to know the logistics of what happens after a parent dies. We’ve compiled a list of the most important things to know to get you started.

Read More
Void marriage license

Everything You Need to Know About Annulments in Florida

Sometimes marriages just don’t work out. If you want to end your marriage in Florida, you either need to get divorced or in some cases get an annulment. Annulments in Florida are not easy to get and require the marriage to be considered void.

If you are wondering whether your marriage qualifies for an annulment, our team of family law attorneys is here to help you understand your options.

Read More
wheat field

Domestic Violence: How to Leave a Dangerous Relationship

How to Leave an Abusive Relationship

On average, 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States. That’s more than 12 million people over the course of a year who will experience some form of domestic violence. If you are in a violent relationship, seek help immediately. The best chance for you to break the cycle of violence is to break free from the abusive situation – a task far easier said than done. We’re here to help you understand the best way you can leave your abusive spouse or significant other for good.

Read More